Part 1. Medical Policies
§ 2-103 Student Health Insurance
(a) The University Board of Trustees requires all students to be covered by health insurance, either through a program provided by the University or one determined to be equivalent to that offered by the University.
(b) The fee for the Student Health Insurance Plan is assessed along with other tuition and fees. For graduate students, waiver-generating appointments include partial payment of the Health Insurance Fee.
(c) Coverage extends, including semester breaks, from the Saturday before the first day of classes for a given semester and terminates at midnight on the Friday prior to the next consecutive semester’s coverage date. The Summer Term is considered a semester.
(d) Plan benefits are detailed in the Student Health Insurance Plan booklet, which is available at the Student Insurance Office, located at Student Health Insurance, 1109 S. Lincoln Ave., Room 29, Urbana, IL 61801. The fee/premium is charged per semester. The Summer Term is considered a semester. No semester amount can be prorated.
(e) All changes to the plan, exemption from the fee, extension of coverage, and purchase of dependent coverage, must be completed during the semester’s Enrollment Change Period, which is posted in the Student Health Insurance booklet. All changes must be completed according to the Student Insurance policy. Changes attempted by any other means will not be valid. Requests for changes included with tuition and fee payments will not be valid. Refer to the Student Insurance Web site at www.si.illinois.edu or call the Student Insurance Office for details on insurance enrollment change procedures.
(f) Students who wish to cover their dependents must purchase dependent insurance each semester during the Insurance Enrollment Change Period. The Summer Term is considered a semester.
(1) Dependent coverage is only available if the student is covered, through registration or extension, by the Student Insurance Plan for the requested semester.
(2) Dependent coverage must be purchased during the Insurance Enrollment Change Period, or within thirty-one days of acquiring a new dependent (marriage, birth, entry into U.S.).
(3) Dependent coverage becomes effective on the date of application and receipt of premium or the regular beginning date of semester coverage for which coverage is being purchased, whichever is later.
(g) Students who wish to apply for extension of coverage beyond the last semester enrolled and insured must apply for that extension during the specified dates given on Student Insurance Office’s Web site at www.si.illinois.edu and in the Student Health Insurance Plan booklet. Extension of dependent coverage must also be completed during that time. The premium is payable at time of application. Only one semester of coverage beyond a consecutive semester in which the student and/or dependents were covered under this plan is granted, unless the last semester enrolled and insured is one in which the student graduates from the University. In this case, two semesters of extended coverage can be granted, but premium for both semesters much be paid at the time of extension.
(h) If a student wishes to be exempted from the Health Insurance Fee, an exemption application must be completed and approved within the Insurance Enrollment Change Period for the semester a student wishes to be exempt from the fee. Health insurance that is presented to request an exemption must be deemed equivalent to the Student Insurance Plan by the Student Insurance Office, and must be in force on the first day of coverage for the Student Insurance Plan in the semester in which an exemption is being requested. Evidence of equivalent medical insurance coverage can be a copy of the insurance identification card, policy, schedule of benefits, plan booklet or notice on company letterhead from the employer or company certifying coverage of the student. An exemption will continue in effect until such time as the student requests reinstatement to the plan or fails to respond to a request to reconfirm coverage by another health insurance plan. If an exemption from the Student Health Insurance Plan is approved, the student is responsible to maintain health insurance coverage equivalent to the Student Health Insurance Plan while enrolled in the University of Illinois.
(i) Reinstatements are for students who have completed an exemption by showing proof of other equivalent health insurance and now wish to reinstate themselves into the Student Health Insurance Plan. Reinstatements must be done in person. No forms are on the Student Insurance Office’s Web site. There are two ways to reinstate:
(1) Change of Status Reinstatement. Students who are in an exempt status from the Student Health Insurance Plan and want to be reinstated to the plan may apply by providing proof of loss of other insurance; i.e., notice of termination of insurance from the insurance company or employer. This must be done within sixty-three (63) days of such loss of other insurance. Enrollment is guaranteed with coverage effective on the date of application or date of termination of other insurance, whichever is later. Students must be registered for the semester they wish to reinstate, and they must be eligible to be assessed the fee. Change of status reinstatement can be done throughout the semester, based on the termination of your other health insurance. The full semester fee will be charged. This type of reinstatement does not have a pre-existing condition limitation.
(2) Open Enrollment Reinstatement. Students who are in an exempt status from the Student Health Insurance Plan, and have not lost or will not lose (in the next 63 days) their other insurance or if it has been more than sixty-three (63) days from loss of other health insurance, and who want to be reinstated to the plan MUST apply during the Insurance Enrollment Change Period for the semester they wish to reinstate and they must be eligible to be assessed the fee. A twelve (12) month pre-existing condition is applied to all Open Enrollment Reinstatements.